The Accidental Demon Slayer

The Accidental Demon Slayer

by Angie Fox

3 out of 5

Synopsis
It's never a good day when an ancient demon shows up on your toilet bowl. For Lizzie Brown, that's just the beginning. Soon her hyperactive terrier starts talking, and her long-lost biker witch Grandma is hurling Smuckers jars filled with magic. Just when she thinks she's seen it all, Lizzie learns she's a demon slayer -- and all hell is after her.

Of course, that's not the only thing after her. Dimitri Kallinikos, a devastatingly handsome shape-shifting griffin needs Lizzie to slay a demon of his own. But how do you talk a girl you've never met into going straight to the underworld? Lie. And if that doesn't work, how dangerous could a little seduction be...?



Review
Lizzie is the adopted daughter of a society darling, so when she turns thirty, inherits demon-slayer powers, and a biker witch grandmother, her life is turned upside down.

OK, so first all, I read this series out of order. I downloaded book 5 - <a href="https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17341365-my-big-fat-demon-slayer-wedding">My Big Fat Demon Slayer Wedding</a> for free last month, and started reading it before I realised I had book 1 already on my Kindle, so I pretty happy to read how it all started.
I will say now, I prefer book 5. It is much better written, and the characters are stronger. So in a way, I'm kinda glad I read that one first, so I know what Fox is capable of.

So Lizzie is planning her simple 30th birthday with a few friends, when her recently re-united grandmother locks her in the bathroom. This is the start of a crazy adventure with demons, imps, witches, shape-shifters, and motorbikes.

I love the original take on a familiar story. A lot of Lizzie's back-ups are pensioners. Who ride Harleys. And swear, drink, wear leather. Oh, and make spells out of roadkill.
The coven are pretty awesome, they're irrepressible, independent, and confident in their ability.
They're just as likely to lash out, as they are to be affectionate; and they are a stark contrast to Lizzie's society mother.

Then you have Dimitri, the token hot guy who knows more about Lizzie and the demons than he ever lets on. He varies between being over-protective, and pushing Lizzie to become all she can be; and has his own motives for wanting this Demon Slayer trained.

There's a dog who talks. The trick is getting him to shut up.

And of course, Lizzie. She's actually really cool. She's not afraid to stand up for herself and do what she thinks is best, even when she's overwhelmed with demons and family drama, she's still very adamant about having her own opinion and doing what's right.

The not-so-good...
I found the writing very rough. There were sections where I had to go back and check something, because suddenly something was different.
There was a lot of arguing, and I was getting whiplash from some of the changes of opinion from characters. Everything was just so rushed, trying to pack a lot into what was just a few days for Lizzie.
I also found some of the spells and curses that were probably supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, fell a little flat, and were trying too hard.

Luckily, I've already read the 5th book, so I know the writing gets better.

Goodreads link
Amazon UK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Demon Made Me Do It - Indie Love Blog Hop

Trick or Treat Book Blog Hop

Book Release: The Oracle