The Siren's Realm

The Siren's Realm

by Megan O'Russell

5 out of 5

Synopsis
Jacob loves Emilia Gray, but things aren't always that simple in the world of Magickind...

The war has begun.

The Dragons are gaining power, and the Gray Clan stands alone. Desperate to find a way to stop the Pendragon, Emilia is forced to seek answers from someone who hasn't been seen in seventeen years . . . Her mother. Embarking on a magical journey filled with witches, wizards, centaurs and a dangerous and powerful Siren, Jacob and Emilia must take a leap of faith to a land neither could have ever imagined . . . and hope they can then find their way home.
 




Review
After rescuing his best friend from the Dragons, Jacob and Emilia not only have to come to terms with suddenly being forced to grow up; but the magical and unbreakable connection between them.  But time to recover is a luxury they don't have.  Forced to go into hiding for their own protection, Emilia and Jacob decide to track down the one person that might know how to stop the Pendragon - Emilia's long-lost mother.

I am really enjoying this series.  I've been looking forward to The Siren's Realm ever since I read The Tethering back in February, and it does not disappoint.

Emilia and Jacob are both having to grow up and face the reality of the threats around them, no matter how much Aunt Iz and Molly try to protect them.
Despite the fact that his life has consisted of steady abandonment and being shunned, Jacob is becoming such a strong and caring young man.  He is dependable and the steady rock for Emilia.  I felt there was less growth for him in this book, compared to book 1; it was more a case of confirming who he is.  Along with continued hints towards his magic, which I'm excited to read more about (I have a feeling he's going to be breaking a few traditional rules and expectations).
I felt this story was much more about Emilia's personal journey.  She's emotionally wounded by the betrayal of her boyfriend, Dexter; feels victimised by her bastard of a father; and guilty about being the cause of so much death and damage by the Dragons.  She's ready to shut out the rest of the world, and she's losing her grip on her magic.  It was really lovely to see her find her way and her purpose again.

I loved the relationship between them.  O'Russell has done a fantastic job with how the tethering played out, I think the platonic theme was original, realistic, and I respected Jacob so much more for his control.

The setting for this book was brilliant, it was much stronger and confident than the first book, O'Russell has really hit her stride.  It is so utterly creative, and you just immerse yourself in this world of magic, and the challenges ahead.

The only low point I had about this book was that, I found especially in the first half, that it was overwhelmed by magic.  I know it establishes the foundation of this magical world and what witches and wizards find normal, but I found the story slowed a little each time the author paused to throw in one spell or another that solved  what a mundane person wouldn't even consider a problem.  It sometimes felt like magic was used to sweep things along.  As I say, in the second half, when the story really gets going, you don't notice it.

So all in all, a fab series to get into - bring on part 3!

Goodreads link
Amazon.co.uk


Megan O'Russell


Megan O’Russell is thrilled to have her premier novel The Tethering published with Silence in the Library Publishing. Book two in The Tethering series, The Siren’s Realm, is currently available for pre-order. Megan’s work can also be found the anthology Athena’s Daughter’s 2.
Originally from New York, Megan is a professional actress who spends her time traveling the country for different shows. When not on stage or writing, Megan spends time with her beloved ukulele and her wonderful husband. To follow Megan’s writing adventures, you can
visit her website at meganorussell.com.
Website: meganorussell.com
Twitter: @MeganORussell 
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ORussellauthor
TSU: https://www.tsu.co/MeganORussell


Goodreads links
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21480311-the-tethering https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23445448-the-siren-s-real



The Tethering
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Silence in the Library


The Siren’s Realm
Amazon
Silence in the Library


Interview

As an extra treat, Megan was kind enough to answer a few questions:

1) Congratulations on the release of The Siren's Realm. How many books can we expect in The Tethering series?
All told, it will be a four book series with five to six short stories expanding the world of The Tethering.

2) The first book had a really good reception. What is the inspiration behind The Tethering?
It actually all started with the image of a little boy sitting in a window, waiting for his best friend to come back. Trying to figure out the story behind that little boy was what created The Tethering.

3) You have quite the following with your blog, Twitter and Facebook. How much of a support is your fanbase?
They are wonderful! And it’s so strange. You make a connection with a blogger or someone who favorites your tweets, and then you get a message about how this random connection loved your book. It’s an amazing way to feel more connected to readers that are scattered around the world.

4) What do your friends and family think of you being a published writer?
They are all super supportive if a little confused. I’m an actor by trade, and I’ve had a lot of questions about whether I’m going to give up performing to write. I also had a lot more shock about book two being released than book one. I think my friends are starting to realize how real being a writer is.

5) What is the best and worst thing about being an indie-published author?
I think the best thing is having so much more of a say in the development of my books. I write for a very small press that prizes the artistic process and collaboration that goes into creating a book. I have a lot more of a say in how I structure my book than a lot of writers have. The only downside I’ve ever encountered is feeling like my books are going to get lost in the great big Indie world.

6) What was the biggest thing you learnt from publishing The Tethering last year?
That no matter how many bumps in the road you hit, if you just keep going you’ll make it somewhere sometime. Even if that somewhere wasn't where you had meant to be.

7) What has been your favourite book?
The Chronicles of Narnia. I know. It’s a series, not a book, but I just love the whole set!

8) What has been your favourite Indie book?
Elected by Rori Shay.

9) Who has been your best critic?
My husband. Sometimes I want to kick him in the shins, but he believes in my work, especially when I begin to doubt. He doesn’t think I type diamonds or rainbows. He’ll tell me if what I’m writing stinks, but he always believes that I have the capability to do good work.

10) What has been your favourite review/comment to date?
I thanked a reviewer on twitter for posting a really great review of The Siren’s Realm on her site, and she tweeted back “Just keep writing. That’s all I ask.” I would write even if no one ever read my stories, but having someone say that makes the months of revisions, submissions, edits, and promotions worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Demon Made Me Do It - Indie Love Blog Hop

Trick or Treat Book Blog Hop

#IndieBooksBeSeen Character Quiz