Harry Webb in 'A Potato With Her Name On'

Harry Webb in 'A Potato With Her Name On'

by Jason Pinnington

5 out of 5

Synopsis
The name’s Webb, Harry Webb, spider and private detective. Most people find what I do exciting, chases, shootouts, chases, fist fights, chases, escapes - you get the idea, there’s a lot of chases. Not me, I prefer the stakeout, hours sitting on some Liverpool street watching, waiting, eating, drinking coffee... minimal fees, minimal risk.

Then a job lands at my feet, a job I can’t refuse because it’s the only way out of a hole I’m in. A high profile job for a high profile client, with secrets that need to stay secret. A job that’s tougher than an overcooked steak and keeps me looking over my shoulder at every turn.

As I start drawing up a list of suspects and motives, making more enemies than friends, I realise that my job isn’t the only thing at stake here... there’s my life...

Age 8+




Review
It's a bug's life on the mean streets of Liverpool.  P.I. Harry Webb refuses to admit he's getting left behind in the detective game, but bills are mounting.  Everything changes when Liverpool starlet Scarlet comes to hire him to uncover a would-be shooter and death threat hanging over her head.

First of all, I do not do kids books.  I don't like kids, they are horrible little creatures.
But there are some books that are accessible to all ages.  This is definitely one of them.
Yes, all the characters are insects, or have insect-features; but it adds to the story, rather than detracts.

Second of all, it is Pinnington's fault that I now have a voice in my head that sounds like Bugsy Malone.  Harry Webb is very tongue-in-cheek, with every cheesy cliche you can think of in the private detective world (Get your newspaper-with-eyeholes ready!).

It's a bit of light-hearted fun that will make you chuckle, whilst still maintaining a good plot.
Pinnington skillfully turns your suspicion onto every character, and keeps you guessing all the way to the end.

Goodreads link
Amazon.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Demon Made Me Do It - Indie Love Blog Hop

Trick or Treat Book Blog Hop

#IndieBooksBeSeen Character Quiz