Obsidian Souls

Obsidian Souls

By Donna Augustine

3 out of 5

Synopsis:
When innocent botanist Alexandria is attacked on a cold winter night, she believes it is nothing more than bad luck. She never suspects that her attacker is not human, and that Caden, her white knight, would be more of the dark and brooding variety and as scary as the thug he’s saving her from.

Now strange beings are stalking her every move and she does not know why. The cops are turning a blind eye, and she has nowhere left to turn but to Caden. He’s willing to help, but he is short on answers and his motivations are not the purest. If she does not find answers soon, her life as she knows it is over. But is she prepared for the truth she finds?



Review:
I enjoyed this book, I think that is one of the most important things I have to state. A demon turf war in New York, with a hot and mysterious hero, and a young woman caught in the middle - it's a fantastic idea and I was caught up completely.

But I was frustrated on so many points. It's written in a first person account, which is fine. Then there was the initial switch of POV from Lex to Caden, and back again, in the first few chapters that caught me by surprise. For a moment I thought the whole book would be written like that, and I was intrigued to see how it would work - but it never occurred again! Which actually, I thought was a shame. There were parts when Lex wasn't fully aware of what was going on (e.g. when drugged), and the story become blurry too, I couldn't help but feel that seeing how Caden rescued her from his point of view would have been so much better. And it would have been a great addition to have snippets of what Caden got up to away from the bar.

Then there was the Us vs. Them that was the conflict in the book. I was just confused. Apart from the fact that Carl tried to beat or rape Lex every time they met, and that the rest of his side were shady bad guys; there was no point where I actually felt it was explained who they were or why they were against Caden.
After getting half-way through the book and having no more explanation than Us and Them, I decided to treat it like a demonic turf war (I hope I came to the right conclusion!), and keeping that it mind it made a little more sense from them on.

I also got frustrated with Lex. I wanted to shout at her to snap out of her complacency! Especially when she started acting particularly childish, or being so concerned with her "cutest reconnaissance outfit".
Caden I can't fault. He stays true to his character, and his secrets are slowly revealed through the book.
But my favourite character by far is Mike. He is bloody brilliant, and I hope to see more of him in the rest of the series!
As for Jack and Frank, at first I found the casualness of them quite jarring, but by the end of the book I actually enjoyed Augustine's take on these figures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Demon Made Me Do It - Indie Love Blog Hop

Trick or Treat Book Blog Hop

Good news, everybody!